Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Post "Race" Race


Well, like finishing 4th when there are 3 Kona (Hawaii Ironman) slots up for grabs, I finished 6th with 5 seats open for Boulder City Council. This was my first foray into the world of politics, and I finished less than 1% out of the money - just 600 votes short out of over 74,000! Not bad for a newbie.

The 6-month long journey/adventure was an incredible learning experience. I am now fully engaged in so many varied issues that I absolutely consider the experience a great success. Without a doubt, I plan on staying quite involved in Boulder matters, and I have already been asked to be on the Boulder Convention & Visitors Bureau Advisory Board.

But, as far as racing goes, the campaign definitely made it as challenging as any time in my 29 years of being competitive. There were functions virtually everyday; and, mentally, you just have to be “on” at all times. I was scheduled to race Ironman Arizona last weekend. While my wattage on my bike, speed on the track, and 100 times in the pool were all equal to or better than last year’s IMAZ, the long stuff was virtually impossible to get in. Instead of 3-4 six hour rides, and doing 20+ 800’s on the track each Sunday, I got in just one 5+ hour ride, and Sundays meant 15 X 800. So, I was not nearly as confident with my training.

Election Day was November 3. At 5 AM on November 4, Jodee and I took off on a much needed getaway to Mexico. I was looking forward to letting my mind clear a bit, and get in some good training. And, lo & behold, what appears but the “Puerto Vallarta Marathon.” Called a marathon, it’s actually a half, and I learned about it right after a 3 hour mountain bike ride … happening 2 days later.
Naturally, I do it. Over 1,300 people and $250,000 pesos prize money. Kenyan runners went 1-10; and, my 1:33:01 landed me 4th in the 50+ group … but, like my election campaign, just short … prize money for 50+ went 3 deep! About 2/3 through the race (there were no mile or kilometer markers - none!), I felt a small tear or pull in my upper left quad. Yep - couldn’t run for a few days after; and, between the injury, my sub-standard training, and my mind racing all over the place, I decided to postpone IMAZ to next year (it was a Community Fund spot).

So, a less than stellar triathlon season. Several solid running races (halfs and full marathons). And a political experience well worth the time and energy. Next up: a few winter duathlons, a marathon in January somewhere (probably Phoenix or Miami); hopefully, Team Timex Camp in February; and many, many meetings and functions of involvement in the great Boulder community.

No comments:

Post a Comment