Thursday, November 12, 2009

It's All Relative

When I was 14 years old, living in Worcester, MA., I can remember taking a bus to Boston for one of the huge "peace moratoriums" aimed at protesting the war in Vietnam. I can remember being on the bus with my neighbor, Abbie Hoffman, and watching him run off the bus to the Boston Common to be one of the keynote speakers at the rally. Abbie was one of the big leaders of the "yippees," soon becoming one of the famous (infamous) "Chicago 7," and, ultimately, becoming a fugitive from the law.

I remember being so moved by the speeches, the crowd of over 100,000 strong, and the message of "peace now." I was so into it that i even signed up for that peace-loving group - soon to become one of the most controversial and groups - Students for a Democratic Society (SDS).

Throughout my college years and into the 80's, I remained a proud "Kennedy Democrat." When my father was dying from pancreatic cancer, I had the privilege to be on a flight from Salt Lake City with Senator Ted Kennedy sitting right behind me. While many passengers attempted to see and meet him, I quietly wrote a personal note to him about my Dad, telling the Senator how our family had always been true and faithful supporters. Less than a week later, my father received a personal letter from Senator Kennedy, making it sound as if we had literally flown together and were strong acquaintances, wishing my father his personal best wishes. I will never forget the call I got from my Dad that day. He died not long after.

Throughout the 80's and 90's, as I helped raise my 2 sons, our family carried on the stewardship of caring about others. We served Meals on Wheels to those in need on all major holidays, giving the regular volunteers those days off. My wife and I were the first chairs of our synagogue's new Social Action Committee. We actively worked in the area of homelessness, ands strongly supported and mentored four girls who lived in Boys Town, a residence for kids with serious problems, such as alcoholism at age 14.

My kids have carried on those values, those critically important compass points, of caring about others - particularly, those in need. One spent 2+ years in the Peace Corps in Africa, and another year working with kids and the environment in Patagonia Chile. The other has done such things as building bikes in Austin, riding them to a small village in Mexico, and donating them to people there, taking a bus home.

While my business and athletic career and focus put a bit of a crimp in the time I have devoted to social justice in recent years, my heart, soul, and values have not changed at all ... not at all.

The one thing that has changed, though, is I now live in Boulder, Colorado. I am no longer considered liberal. I recently ran for Boulder City Council, and was contrasted to the other more "progressive" candidates. Virtually all of the characterization was related to land use issues and, to a lesser extent, environmental matters. None of the labeling had anything to do with social justice.

Global warming, Boulder's fantastic Climate Action Program efforts, and the city's excellent track record on alternative transportation are all important high level priorities. But, please, let Boulder - let us - never lose sight of people first - people in need, our quiet and often not seen, underrepresented, those who may not be in a position to care for themselves without some kindness and assistance.

I still consider myself a true "Kennedy Democrat." In Boulder, however, I am labeled a "moderate centrist." Interesting. Too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment